Tag Archives: Derby

LIPCAP 2014 1930s House Open Day

LIPCAP Xmas Open Day 2014
Last year, one member of the Living in the Past Community Archaeology Project (LIPCAP) team held a Christmas open day by inviting members of the public to view her home: a house built in the late 1920s – early 1930s, which is dressed for Christmas with vintage decorations. Photos from the 2013 1930s House Xmas Open Day are displayed here.
Over the last four years, the layers of wallpaper, paint, and floor coverings of more recent decades have been removed to reveal original décor and fittings, which the project director is archaeologically investigating and recording (some information on the findings is available on another blog – under ‘Lymehurst’). These early features are being restored, and period fittings and furnishing reinstated,  in order to gain an impression of the domestic environment in the inter-war years. The restoration (which is still a work in progress) provides a backdrop to display early – mid 20th century artefacts, as well as Christmas decorations of this date.
Though most visitors today might find the décor far from ‘tasteful’, it is proving a useful exercise to experience such an environment. (The interior of this ‘cottage-type’ house differs in many ways to the ‘moderne’ interior of the time. Whereas many find what is now commonly described as ‘Art Deco’ styles attractive – of which we’re familiar through period dramas such as ITV’s Poirot – the materials, dark colours, and ‘traditional’ styles that filled many homes at the time are generally seen today as undesirable, making the more ‘homely’ furniture, furnishings and other household objects – which now fill Lymehurst – is now commonly categorised as worthless junk.).
We are holding another Xmas Open Day this year, on Sunday 21st December, 2-4pm, giving visitors to the house the opportunity to step back in time to Christmases of yesteryear. Changes since last year include reinstatement of paintwork in the hall and old kitchen.
We would especially welcome elderly visitors that were children in the 1920s and 30s, to hear their memories of housing and Christmastime before WWII.

Disabled Access

Although as a private house there are no facilities fitted for disabled visitors, we will endeavour to provide access where possible. There is a single step into the building; the open day is limited to ground floor rooms (where restoration is most complete), which with the exception of a door-mat well, is level (with removable door treads).
It may be possible for elderly or other visitors with disabilities to visit the house at times other than those advertised for public access: please contact the project for further information. See below for parking information

Directions

 map red dot
Location: red dot (Google Maps)

Signs & satnavs

If using a Satnav, be aware that they tend to get confused by the different sections of Newton’s Walk, and often try to send cars along the foot-path at the back of Markeaton School!
The old signs to Broadway church lead to West Park Road, although there is no longer access to the church.

From Kedleston Road:

Turn into the Broadway (junction near to the Jonty Farmer pub), taking the immediate right into old Kedleston Road, then 2nd left into Cedar St. Continue straight on over the crossroads, into Woodland Road. The first left turn is West Park Road; no. 1 is on the left hand corner with Woodland Road.

From Duffield Road:

Turn into Broadway at the Broadway pub roundabout on Duffield Road, and continue down the road until the bottom of the hill; take the second left into Sherwin St. (just before the junction with Kedleston Road), continuing to the top of the road, following the road around right at the WI into Newton’s Walk, then first right into Woodland Road. The first left turn is West Park Road; no. 1 is on the left hand corner with Woodland Road.

Parking

There is only very limited parking near to the house, restricted to residents with permits. The house may be reached by a short walk along the footpath (Newton’s Walk, next to the pedestrian crossing on Broadway, near to the Baptist Church, marked in grey on the map above). Should a visitor with disabilities need to park near to the house, please contact the project, and we will try to organise access to an off-road parking-space next to the house.
Please do not park in the church car park without prior permission: it is not a public car park.

Posters

Event posters (jpg at top of page and pdf below) can be downloaded by right-clicking on the image & selecting ‘Save As’

LIPCAP Xmas Open Day 2014

Historic Map Overlay: Friar Gate / Ashbourne Rd. Area, 1883

Completed the historic map interpretation for the LIP Project Study Area (no. 4) that centres on Friar Gate and Ashbourne Rd (apologies for poor resolution – still looking for a way to successfully export good quality images from the GIS software used):

1883 Historic Map Google Earth Overlay

1883 Historic Map Google Earth Overlay

  • Blue: water pumps
  • Grey: domestic
  • Pale pink: education
  • Medium Pink: institutional building
  • Red: religious buildings
  • Violet: Commercial & industrial
  • Dark purple: Public Houses

Do you live in any of the houses shown?

We’re interested to hear from residents of houses marked on the map – the LIP project can carry out – or support householders in carrying out their own – (for free) archaeological standing building surveys (house interiors – and / or outdoor toilets!), and would really like to record any bits of old pottery, glass, etc. found in gardens.

Non-domestic features of interest

  • The large pink building at the bottom right of the map is the County Gaol, now demolished (façade remains).
  • The building of the same colour in the middle of the map is St Christopher’s Railway Servants’ Children’s Home
  • The map records the smaller building of this colour at the top left as a ‘Females Home’. (This is recorded in the HER – no. 32542 – as ‘Home for Penitent Females’, built 1866-68 by George Henry Sheffield)
  • The pale pink building, right of centre is Ashgate Board School – still a primary school today.
  • The violet features at the bottom left of the map are brick fields & kilns. (Recorded in the HER – no. 32501 – as being in operation until 1900)
  • Some pubs marked on the map (dark purple) are still open today: the Greyhound, New Zealand, Wagon & Horses, Wheel (now Mile)

More soon…